Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:04:12 -0500
>I think we have been influenced by the wildlife we experience in
>civilization.  On the NGC site, all the photos, birds and crabs included,
>were taken with no longer than a 35mm lens.  The animals must not fear
>humans enough to flee or become hostile.
You definitely have a point, but there are 29 species of birds.  They can't
all be unafraid of humans.  Most of the close-up photos I have seen of the
birds are of boobies, either red-footed or masked.  There are some other
bird photos, but it seems like I remember seeing an adult with a fledgling.
That is one time when the adult might stick around to defend the fledgling
when it would otherwise fly away.  Not surprisingly, they are timing the rat
eradication outside of the major nesting times.  One other note, one of my
responsibilities will be to walk the runway to discourage the birds from
nesting/resting on the runway.  Therefore, some of the birds must not like
to be around humans if walking the runway scares them away.  (Yeah, it's a
bad sign when birds have taken over the runway you use to land.  One of the
letters I received said they will be timiing our arrival on the island when
the birds will be feeding...to reduce the chances of bird strikes!)
--p.j.