Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:58:08 -0400
I think we have been influenced by the wildlife we experience in civilization. On the NGC site, all the photos, birds and crabs included, were taken with no longer than a 35mm lens. The animals must not fear humans enough to flee or become hostile.

Gregg

> but honestly, on 600 or so acres, do you need 500mm?

Yes, IMHO for wildlife longer is better and I would sacrifice the mid
range for a longer lens. The beauty of the 500 is its small size. If the
300 is too heavy then by all means take a 500.  However I've had good
luck using the 300/4.5 with the 14mm tube (crabs?) and with the 2x-a so
it could do triple duty while the 500 couldn't. Also the 500 might be
too slow in the shade without a tripod. Maybe an option would be an
85-250?

Mike