[OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:55:44 -0700 (PDT)
I completely agree with Ken and add a few more opinions as generally relevant
(i.e. not just to this trip).
> Thought #1:  Take one camera and make it an OM-1.
> OM bodies are very light and easily packed in with your shorts
> (not IN your shorts).  I would NEVER go on a trip like this with
> just one body--no matter what it is.  All it takes is a slip and

I too can't imagine taking one body unless one body is all I had. Everyone is
worried about a back up camera. I worry about being ready to take a shot.
I usually carry 3 bodies when I can, sometimes 4. Not for back ups, but
to minimize lens changes and to have more than one type of film. What is the
point of having high speed film in the plastic can? It belongs in a camera
where it can be grabbed. That's the camera which has the telephoto on it
of course.

> Thought #2:  Monopod-Yes, Tripod-No.
> Please, oh, please get yourself a small compact tripod.  I feel

Monopods are great for supporting heavy equipment. They let you double the
shutter speed, which is occassionally useful.
Tripods are used for taking great pictures. The lightest
is vastly better than a monopod for field photography. Don't forget all the
little bits too: cable release, lens tissues.

> Thought #3:  Take TONS of film.
> Leave the motor drive and winders home.  Plan on an average of a
> 36 exposure roll every two days.  Any more than that and you

Again, I agree about less film. Take careful pictures. You can always kill more
rats if you
run out of film before time. I usually count on about 1 landscape or
still-life exposure per 15 minutes as a maximum "burn rate" with 35mm film.
Slower still for larger formats. Of course if you are doing action wildlife
photography, then you will want lots of film and maybe a winder.
However, I disagree about taking just one type of film. Which kind? The best
compromise film? I would want to use the most appropriate film for the shot.
Take as many types of film as you have bodies plus one. This way you can change
film mid-roll, though people in practice tend not to do that, so you don't
rely on that inconvenience.

What I would bring in this fantasy:

3 bodies (doesn't matter which)
50mm or 90mm macro lens and 25mm tube
24mm
35mm (or 50mm non-macro if bringing the 90mm)
135mm or 200mm
Teleconvertor (for anticipated occassional use) or long tele (for frequent use)
Small case for one body and lens
Large case for everything else
Medium weight tripod with multiple quick release plates (light weight if no
        long tele)
Cable, many filters screwed together, all hoods (there will be glare),
        eyecup, canned air (okay on plane?), dessicant?, etc.
Notepad (or Palm Pilot in my case)
4 films:
        Slow (100 or less) of primary medium (e.g. b/w, color slide, color neg).
        Fast (400) of primary medium (e.g. b/w, color slide, color neg).
        Secondary medium (e.g. b/w if mostly shooting color)
        Some rolls of film to play with (e.g. infrared, super fast,...)

If you bring only 2 bodies, then replace two lenses with a suitable zoom. And
        drop the fun film to play with.
If you bring only 1 body, don't say we didn't warn you!

If you want to cut weight drop a long lens. If you don't need to drop weight
take a long lens if you want to do any wildlife photography. I honestly can't
see how a lens could ever be too long for wildlife photography. If the bird
is really that close, make a stunning head-only portrait.
Plus, it sounds like theft is unlikely to be an issue!

Have a great trip and post pictures on your return.
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page:
        http://logos.uoregon.edu/uoling/faculty/pederson/pederson.html