Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta et al ...

Subject: Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta et al ...
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:48:34 +0100
Tristan

I, for one, would love to know how to contact anyone off-list given
that the only address shown for list members is the mail list
itself. What am I missing?

Look at the header of the message.  There is always the originator's
address as well as that of the List.  Perhaps you have the wrong
format selected - in Eudora Pro you can declutter the headers to a
certain extent.

I take this story to be true. If any grain of it were true it'd be
enough for me. Even had Cameta made it right by fully reimbursing
Oben for his monetary investment I'd look on Cameta askance. You
don't send a lens that bad to anyone, not under any circumstance. It
just doesn't happen. Not with professionals. In this case it is
clear to me that Cameta is one dubious concern. How anyone could
come away with any other impression is quite beyond me.

I was trying to suggest that I thought that your reaction was rather
precipitate given that Cameta had not done *you* any disservice, and
that it was on the basis of one bad deal that you would: 1. no longer
deal with them; 2. send them a nastygram (copied to the List for our
delectation).  I have not heard Cameta mentioned in derogatory
fashion before now, so "continuing" their "shady practices" is
perhaps a little strong.

But to be fair I shall turn it around. Based on Oben's
representation here, would you be willing to do business with Cameta
Camera tomorrow?

No I would not deal with Cameta unless I could go and look at their
goods.  It does not affect me because I cannot do business with
Cameta given the current exchange rate.  The lack of confidence in
their goods will soon be reflected in their sales if they are indeed
as crooked as you seem to think they are.   Each shop has to make its
own good will; Cameta's performance does not affect photographers
worldwide.

Finally, you are entirely mistaken that this does not affect you. It
affects everyone in photography. Wake up!

No, I am not mistaken.  In your opinion Cameta is not a good
organisation.   It is therefore unlikely to be significant in its own
country, let alone in the remainder of the camera-selling world.

Chris