[OM] 21mm lenses

Subject: [OM] 21mm lenses
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:06:05 +1000
Dear Tris,

Let me just say hello on my first direct email to you. Thanks for sharing some of your advice and experience on the list. You almost always have something worthwhile to say on most topics. I guess it comes from extensive experience. I am an ophthalmologist in Australia and I've gotten back into photography in the last 6 months after a long break.

In the process of my refound interest, I've accumulated alot of very good Olympus equipment. I had announced to the list that I may be interested in swapping a mint 40mm in box for a 21/2. At that point a few list members interceded privately and said that it would be a mistake to do so as the 21/2 is a much rarer and more useful lens, suggesting that the 40mm has collector interest rather than any real appeal to the photographer. (See Olaf's posting I've excerpted below).

I also have a 21/3.5 in mint condition with its case thats available for sale for $380 US. I would swap that lens for the 40/2. In regards to the questions you've asked about the 21/3.5 you're considering. The 21/3.5 (I've had two through my hands) have a different aperture feel in my experience than other lenses. Perhaps its a design thing. Its not so much being stuck but they have a different and more positive click to the aperture detentes. Maybe this is what he means. On the other hand I have owned a 50/3.5 that stuck and required force to free but that was a BGN lens I picked up for the hell of it and it had evidence of being dropped.

In my experience the 21/3.5 is a great lens in terms of sharpness and contrast. I don't have a scanner to show you but my most recent set of prints 6x9" taken with this lens are just brilliant. The only issue which I haven't compared to the 21/2 is the vignetting that can occur with thick polarising filters. I'm sure this is an issue with the 21/2 also but can't say until I have the next set of slides back. I'm pretty certain that all super wides including the 21mm length need slim line filters or a step up filter.

My gear is listed on: www.zuiko.net
if you want to check out what I have available. So yes I have a 21/2 and 21/3.5 available for sale, I would consider a 21/3.5 to 40/2 swap. The 21/3.5 is MC has a case but no box. Also I'll accept a return for any reason for 14 days post sale/swap if you are interested.

Best Wishes
Oben

PS: This is an excerpt from Olaf Graeve's email to me on the wisdom of the 40 <-> 21/2 swap:

"
> I remember XXXXX wanted to swap one for a 40mm f2. I'm just wondering whether a 21/2 is too
> much to swap for a 40/2.

Well, I know XXXXX personally and I certainly am not against seeing him
getting a steal deal (even though he has had quite a few of those lately
;) ), but in this case I feel I must advise against doing so. IMO the 40/2
is a way overrated lens and the only reason prices at times are high for
this lens is that it is somewhat rare (though you can find them at good
prices if you look around a bit). The 40/2 AFAIK is nice, but is by no means
a stellar performer (which is something that does not apply to the 21/2, as
that one does have a very good reputation). Then regarding the simple math:
XXXXX paid $190 AUD (!) for his 40/2 and the lens is not LNIB; I guess that
answers the question whether a 40/2 <-> 21/2 would be too much...;)
Anyway, XXXXX bought the 40/2 with the intention to use it, but if someone
would offer a high amount for it, he would sell it (of course), so I'll
leave that decision in your hands. Finally, regarding rarity: I've seen a
lot more 40/2s than 21/2s....;)
"

By the way: are you the gentleman who, a few weeks back, asked me about a possible trade (or at least temporary exchange) of your 21mm f2 for my 40mm f2? If so, let me know. I wouldn't mind having a 21mm in hand for vacation. I'll be in London on my return leg and I imagine a wider view than my 24mm would come in handy in a city crowded with large architectural structures.

To the list: I've a vendor who says he has a 21mm f3.5 in excellent+ condition except for an aperture which sticks" occasionally. He tells me he'd have this repaired and offer me six months warranty on the item if I pop. Two questions: first, anyone familiar with this sort of issue with a wide-angle lens? It's never come up with me. All of my gear performs flawlessly (knock on wood as always <g>); second, has anyone worked with the f3.5, and if so how does it perform? I've researched it as far as I might, to include, as always, Gary's invaluable site, but I'd like to know if it has any known faults or peculiarities.