Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta

Subject: Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:26:51 +0100
Well, this is why it helps to know your rights as a consumer before
you enter into dealings with unknown vendors, especially when these
vendors are out of the country.

snip

I don't know the specifics of consumer laws in your country and how
they might bear in this particular, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts
your cc bank provider would have supported you on this to the hilt
with 1) a simple phone call and 2) a letter in support of your
complaint (along with any supporting documentation, say, a short
estimate of repair from the Olympus tech w/explanation of problem, a
facsimile of any email correspondence with Cameta Camera re the
condition of the lens prior to purchase, etc.).

I have found that merely threatening the delinquent trader with a
complaint to VISA or MC will persuade them to see things your way ...
if you are in the right of course.  They don't want to earn bad marks
with the VISA organisation.  This worked for me last year with a
boating company in France (I paid with VISA over email from the
Netherlands).  What you are describing is, for me, the last resort.

If any of that represents a "problem" to you then, of course, you're
free to eat it. But please keep

... eat what?  Foreign banter I' afraid.

For my part, I am as of this second crossing Cameta Camera off my
list. Before I delete it from my

... this, on the basis of hearsay, or supposition that Oben's lens is
the same one?  Or have members of the List had bad experiences with
Cameta before?  I know that Cambridge Camera has been the subject of
many unfavourable reports from US citizens.  It does not affect me as
the dollar/GBP rate is pretty unfavourable at present, so I am
unlikely to buy anything from across the water for a while.

Chris