Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta

Subject: Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:11:05 +1000
At 12:27 AM Wednesday 25/07/2001, you wrote:
What shape was this lens represented to be in when you purchased it from Cameta, Oben? Any problems returning it? Did they pick up the return shipping charge?

Tris

The lens was purported to be as they say on their web site... glass free of any defects (and I'm being kind in saying the lens had fungus. Its multicoating was deeply etched by very fine and dense fungal blooms on multiple elements. The most obvious fungus was immediately on the rear of the front element and was at least 3cm long, 0.5cm wide. In terms of visibility could have been said to be of the "dog's balls" variety. No experienced grader could have missed it).

I'd imagine cleaning it would have damaged the MC coating as the Olympus technician in Sydney who looked at it advised me. He had said they could do a test cleaning and not charge me for it if it didn't come off. I gave Cameta the option of allowing such a cleaning to take place for which they could re-imburse me if all seemed OK. They offered $50 for cleaning and I take all the risk to which I refused. After all the lens should have been clean in the first place. Returning it then became a drama requiring at least 4 long emails on my part explaining the situation.

They only returned the cost of the lens plus my original shipping charge. The return shipping was not re-imbursed and was substantial -$35 US and came out of my pocket. I had made it clear that I expected the return charge to be paid by them but they didn't return it. I just wanted the whole drama to be over and couldn't be bothered with them stuffing around with my credit card number.

Moreover it was declared merchandise (as it should have been - I'm not complaining) on the customs form requiring a GST payment of ~$30 US that I had to pay to simply get it out of the customs wrapping. All up $65 US down. Apparently I can get back the GST component if I can prove that it was shipped back etc requiring letters from the post office and receipts etc. Too much trouble and would cost me more in time than the refund is worth.

A circular waste of time and money. The funny thing was the packet of lollies they included with the lens with Bill Cameta's business card saying "Enjoy your purchase!". I mailed that back to them as well... if its anyone who sucks... its their graders.

OC