Re: [OM] Using a Pro Lab for Developing

Subject: Re: [OM] Using a Pro Lab for Developing
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:00:40 +0000
At 16:24 7/22/01, you wrote:

> I'd say the long-term average is about 100f a roll, so between 3 and 4
frames on a roll of 36.  I've junked entire rolls of slides more than once,
though never immediately -- I wait for a while to see how I "feel" about the
photos.

> Garth

I don't have a high percentage of keepers sometimes.  Sometimes I do.  All
this being the case, won't the odds of a good percentage go down with MF
(fewer exposures)?  Or are you more apt to be more careful using MF?
JP

My yield with 35mm varies by subject material and venue, and how much risk I'm taking. Found over the past year I've been making a higher number of riskier shots with more critical timing. With subject material that allows more than one shot, it results in more frames consumed to get a good one. "Keepers" are about 1/3 to 2/3 the roll depending on what I'm doing with the amount of bracketing and repetition, and what the images are for. "Wall hangers" average about 100f total frames consumed.

For me, MF does have a higher yield: about 20% to 300f total frames. All but the older MF cameras take 220 (requires a 220 back/insert or pressure plate) which doubles the frames on a roll. IMO the sheer bulk in size and weight of a MF SLR body, larger lenses, and a prism finder, along with the time required to load/unload film, forces a more disciplined and deliberate process in using it. It's not often used hand held, and even then it's not for very long. A hand grip is a necessity with a prism finder. The MF SLR goes onto a tripod whenever possible. I don't know of many that try Cartier-Bresson style street shooting with MF, unless it's with a Rolleiflex TLR (which is lighter than most MF cameras). This are my experiences; others may have different ones.

-- John