Re: [OM] Extension tube prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Extension tube prices
From: johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:05:15 -0500
>Seem to be ridiculous when you can find them (at least out here
>in the boonies when you can't go into a store and haggle). KEH
>wants $50-60 a pop. Is there any reason (for the long length at
>least) that I shouldn't just snap up an off-brand teleconverter
>at $12-15 and gut the sucker?

    I don't have any experience with the off-brand models, but can't see why
they wouldn't work.  The advantage of the Oly models is that you can find
the magnification table on the e-SIF (unless the off-brand ones happen to
come with the manual).
    I'm not sure if you have the 50mm/f3.5 macro, but it would be the best
option and then to add the Auto Tube 25 for 1:1 (the 50/3.5 also has enough
built-in extension to not need the others)
    Lastly, the price you quoted seems normal for retail shops, but not for
e*ay.  It seems like I have seen BINs for $20-25, but I confess that I have
not been in the market for these in a while.  If you do start shopping for
them, make sure you get the "Auto 25", "Auto 14" or "Auto 7" (the other side
says "Olympus Japan(?)".  The ones without "Auto" do not have aperture
coupling.  Also, the 14 and 25 have springs, and the 7 does not.
    Although Gary has the official say, I'd say $60 will typically get you a
manual set and $120 an auto set...but, like I said, with patience and a
lucky BIN you may find the autos for $20-30 each.  Also keep an eye out for
poorly labeled tubes.  Many times people don't know what they have.

HTH,
--p.j.
...and sorry I didn't really answer your question
...oh, and go for the tadpoles; macro is great: you don't have to travel to
see a whole new world!