Re: [OM] Extension tube prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Extension tube prices
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Paul Wallich wrote:

> Seem to be ridiculous when you can find them (at least out here
> in the boonies when you can't go into a store and haggle). KEH
> wants $50-60 a pop. Is there any reason (for the long length at
> least) that I shouldn't just snap up an off-brand teleconverter
> at $12-15 and gut the sucker?

If you plan on using an Olympus 80mm or 135mm macro lens with extension
tubes, you must use Olympus tubes.  The Olympus tubes have a very wide
throat and are able to accomodate the protruding rear element of these
lenses.  Other manufacturers tubes just aren't wide enough.  For all other
lenses the third party tubes are just fine.
                                -mark