Re: [OM] [OT] Trip suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Trip suggestions
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:41:49 +0200
My "problem" is that I've got vacation time coming up the end of August
(August 24 to September 3) and I'm trying to figure out where to go.

Why not visit parts of Eastern Europe while they remain relatively
unspoilt (i.e. only one or two MacDonalds per large city).  I have
not visited there, but Prague gets good reports from friends and
colleagues.    The architecture is apparently beautiful, and the
locals are friendly (I had a CZ Mi24 helo pilot working for me until
February).  But the mountains in that part of the world will provide
good subjects for landscape photography.  Also, in some parts of
Romania, there is so little technological pollution (e.g. no cars,
very little electricity ... no pylons) you will get the sort of
photos that you will find impossible elsewhere in the world.

In addition, since the cost of living is sooo low in the Czech
Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Poland etc... your dollars (C
of course) will go further than in Western Europe and the US.

... and the trains are picturesque and cheap...

Because of the amount of time I have (11 days, minus 2 to allot for travel
time, leaves 9 days) I'm thinking a smaller country makes a lot of sense so
I can still get a decent depth of country.

I agree.

Photo content: my main photo focus is architectural, I'd like to do some
landscape as well, don't tend to focus much on people pictures.

OM content: I'll probably be taking my full compliment of Olympus gear,
which would be:

Sorry to mention this Frugal, but it is "complement" with an "e".

Have a wonderful time, wherever you go.  Since you are young, you may
not have noticed that the dates you mentioned are during the school
holidays (British schools go back at the end of the first week of
September), so you should book your flights early to get the cheapest
ones.

Best Wishes

Chris