[OM] My OIVMPIIS

Subject: [OM] My OIVMPIIS
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:19:22 -0800
I have a nice chrome OM-2 in about 8.5 condition, but its looks are
degraded by the fact that some of the paint (or whatever it is) has
fallen out of the words "OLYMPUS" on the pentaprism. In fact, mine reads
"OIVMPIIS," to be precise. I'd love to turn my oivmpiis back into an
olympus but I have no idea how they flow that black paint into the
recesses of the stamped letters so beautifully. If I were to guess, I'd
say that the paint was put in place in a powdered form and then
reconstituted within the recesses of the stamped letters in order to get
that perfect flow that doesn't reach beyond the boundaries set by the die
impression. But in truth, I have no idea. How do they do it? How do they
get the paint, not only there, but on the R for the rewind, and for the
ON and OFF of the meter, to stay within the boundaries of the die stamped
impressions so perfectly? --Kelton