Re: [OM] Question regardeing 35-70s

Subject: Re: [OM] Question regardeing 35-70s
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:09:56 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:03:29 -0500, Jim Caldwell wrote:

>I'm considering a 35-70 to round out my lens collection (I have a 70-210mm,
>19mm, 200mm zuiko, a 28mm zuiko, and the standard 50's) - but was wondering
>why the dramatic price difference between the 35-70 3.6 lens and the 35-70
>f4.  It can't be the speed - that's only 1/3 of a stop.  Is the quality of
>the f/3.6 really that much better?  What about the f3.5 4.5?
>
>I know there are gurus out there on Mount Olympus who know the answers!

Get thee to the archives and lens test page!

The consensus seems to be that for optical performance, the 3.6 can't
be beat, although the 3.5-4.5 has legions of fans for its compact
design and better than average performance. The F4, while not a bad
lens, pulls in a distict third behind the leaders for design and
performance.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx