[OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:45:50 -0000
Hi,

Here's some things I'd like to add regarding your question about Italy. I noticed that many things were already addressed, so I'll try to be brief.

To ask the perennial impossible question: "What camera and lenses would you take if you were me?"

Well, I have zero experience with Leica's, so I'll only comment on the Oly options you mention:
- -Olympus OM-2 (chrome), 28/2.8 MC, 35/2.8 SC, 50/1.8 MC, 50/1.4 SC,
100/2.8 SC (all Zuikos)

Out of these, I would definitely bring the 28/2.8, the 50/1.4, and the 100/2.8. I read you really like the 35/2.8 too, so if you're that keen on it (and you're not buying a zoom in that range), bring it too. If you're going to splash out zome money for a 35-70, I'd go for the F3.6 version.

My reasons for suggesting the above are easily "auto-justified" (for me, at least) when I mention what I bring 990f the time nowadays: 24/2.8: For the really wide stuff and landscapes, etc. I don't use it very often though. 28/2: Nice modest wide angle, great speed, very forgiving in respect to perspective distortion. Indispensable. 35-80/2.8: Need I say more? :) Really, a zoom in this range is _extremely_ versatile, and it saves the trouble of constantly switching between lenses when you're at a historic site. Quality wise the 35-80 is not easily outclassed by a prime, and I suspect the 35-70/3.6 will give fine pictures too. Note: some of my favourite pictures were taken with the 35-70/4, and the quality of these pictures never let me down. 100/2: This is another world class lens, and it's the only one that rivals the 35-80/2.8 when it comes down to amount of usage. I really love the 100mm focal length, not only for portraits, but also for general shots. [65-200/4: Now that I have the 100/2 this lens gets very little usage. I only use it when I really need the longer end of the zoom range, like e.g. 200mm. This is a lens which nowadays is very often let at home.]

Then to continue:
We will be on foot or using buses and trains the whole time, so size,
weight and the "fiddlyness" of too many extra things is an issue. I
will take only one body--either the M4-P or the OM-2.

I too prefer only bringing one body: saves the hassle of switching bodies every time (and in your case of having to bring two different systems). Opinions on this will be very varied, but as you desire to travel light, I think one body will be fine. If it breaks: buy a second hand OM-10 somewhere in Rome ;)

My normal outfit these days is the M4-P with 35/2, 50/2 and 90/4 and a separate light meter. I tend to use 35 and 50mm the most, followed by 90 (or 85 or 100). I rarely use the 28mm on the Olympus unless I *really* need it. My Leica lenses are noticeably better than my Zuikos, especially at f/4 and wider, although the 50/1.8 Zuiko comes very close. I focus better with a rangefinder, and usually prefer it. But for travel, I can see advantages to the SLR.

This is a choice only you can make. I'd say bring the gear with which you're most comfortable. I don't know if it's going to be much of a hassle using a rangefinder. Regarding the 28/2.8 for the Oly: In my opinion this _is_ one of those times in which you'll *really* need it. Many of the buildings are enormous (now, what did the name "Colosseum" mean again? ;) ), and you can't always get back far enough to get them easily to fit into your viewfinder, so a 28mm is an extremely handy lens for the buildings. Trust me, you'll love it in Rome and in Pompeii.

I am concerned about theft. Several travel books warn about the problem of theft in Italy. I've never been there, so I have no way to judge how real the danger is. I am leaning toward taking the Olympus to Italy, on the grounds that my Olympus stuff is less expensive and easier to replace than my Leica stuff. I'd be less worried about losing or breaking something. Am I being overly paranoid here?

Good, many things have already been said about this, but let me add some comments nonetheless: -Things may not always be as bad as is being suggested by the tour guides. The LP book about Peru e.g. has some 3 pages dedicated to warning you about just how slick Peruvian thieves are etc. Nonetheless, when over there, I used common sense (as well as some lessons learnt from when I got mugged in San Francisco), and didn't find the situation to be that bad at all. The same goes for Italy. Places like Rome have a lot of fame for theft, yet I've never found matters to be that bad. -Watch the kids, especially when in groups, and even more so at the really famous places. The kids that rob you, will pick someone who is not paying attention to anything else but the famous site they're visiting. They will generally cause some sort of distraction like spilling sauce on your clothes, then cleaning it while another kid runs off with your valuables. Dropping a handful of coins, and reading your fortune are also favourite tricks for causing a distraction. When arriving at such a scene (especially when there are hurdles of tourists around), study the scene first. Pick out the ones you think who can potentially rob you and look them straight in the eyes for a few seconds, studying them very obviously in great detail, by making them aware you're studying them, a lot of trouble can be prevented. -Notorious places: Rome(!) (especially at the Colosseum, and the Trevi fountain), Napels, and several other places where lots of tourists go. I noticed Pompeii got mentioned too, but I didn't think it was particularly bad over there. Nonetheless, take care in Pompeii too. -Don't sling your gear too nonchalantly (= easy to grab) over your shoulders and don't put nything valuable in easy to pick places. Intend to clamp your bag under your arm so it's not easy to open and don't wear backpacks on your back in crowds (you'll be surprised how cunning thieves can be in opening them and stealing something from them), but rather keep them in front of you, well protected from grabbing hands. On the other hand: don't panic! Don't look around in fear, gripping on tight to all your gear. In short: be self-assured, but don't freak out. If you show obvious signs of weakness you're more likely to get robbed. -Take care in public transport, keep your bags on your lap and don't leave them unattended (this also applies to terraces).
-Use common sense.

I'll be shooting color print film. I haven't decided whether to take 100 and 400 ISO, or use all 200 as a compromise. I usually use Kodak Gold, but I'm open to others.

I used to use Kodakcolor 100 and 200 a lot too. Nowadays (thanks Giles!) I solely use slides. Much nicer, and I wish I had taken my shots from previous trips on slide film too! :( Kodakcolor 100, 200, and 400 are certainly nice (Fuji Reala Superia 100 is also a very nice negative film, as is Fuji NPH 400), but if you're going to slip in some slide film, go for Fuji Provia 100F.

The purpose of the trip is to see and experience Italy, so photography should fit into, but not dominate it.

True. Don't overdo it on bringing too many lenses. Don't panic regarding theft. Using a bit of common sense is normally enough to prevent trouble. I found theft to be hardly any issue.

Apart from various combinations of my existing equipment, I'm also
considering buying a midrange zoom (35-70/4 or /3.6 Zuiko or quality
off-brand?) and taking that lens, plus either the 28/2.8 or 50/1.4
Zuikos.

Well, as mentioned above, I think bringing the OM-2, 28/2.8, 35-70/3.6, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 + flash, would be about a perfect set-up.

One of Lex's legendary Series I "Fat Vivs" might also work,
although they seem too heavy to schlepp around for 2 weeks. I've never used an SLR zoom, so I don't know how much I'd lose in quality vs. my primes.

When speaking about Zuikos: don't worry about the quality. Regarding off-brand lenses: there are scores of zooms in the range you mention. Some of them are very good, and some of them are not. I'm not much of an expert on these zooms. Perhaps Hans can add a bit or two here, as I believe he has a few off-brand zooms more or less in this range.

Either way: have a great time in Italy, it's a beautiful country which you'll enjoy a lot!!!

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: A tip: try including a visit to the villa of Adrianus (Tivoli, not too far from Rome). It's well worth it. There's two pictures from there on my personal picture gallery
( http://www.millennics.com/olympus/picture_gallery ).