Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:06:46 EST
I was in Florence, Venice and Rome last Spring and found a lightweight tripod
actually usefull.  It is not allowed for interior work but I used it for
great outdoor shots etc.. That is too heavy or cumbersome for most.  It is a
must for me to take everywhere.  I have a very lightweight Cullman model that
is good.
For lenses, I had a 21mm f3.5 that I used alot both in Europe and in Nepal.
I have since replaced that with a 28mm f2 for the speed.  A wide angle f2 is
a must-the 21 f2 would be fantastic I think or the 24 f2 etc.
A mid range zoom will get alot of work as you know.
I had no problem last year when I traveled alot.  I was lucky.  Having velcro
that makes a nice "RIP" sound on alot of clothes is a great way to go.
The only place I saw flashes used openly was on "David" in Florence.  Flash
won't affect sculpture and I guess they assume all the pictures of David will
look like all the other commercial ones already available.
Flashes used in museums and cathederals are not only against the rules and in
poor taste, but make the crowds hostile.  Photographing inside the
cathederals is a no no to most anyways-I snuck one shot.  Better to forget
the picture and remember in awe...
I think some of the blame for "stolen cameras etc" goes to people being
careless and leaving gear on counters etc.. Be careful.
Security checks are great places to leave -forget-cameras (especially when
you are eyeballing the guards with big guns in countries like Nepal etc..)
Have fun
John R