Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: JWHays@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:58:58 EST
>I wouldn't take a tripod, either, nor\ a flash -- the tripod is advertising

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this...if you are traveling in the great
cities of Europe and don't take a tripod for night photography you are
missing a big part of the fun and truly beautiful photo opportunities. I was
lucky enough to be in Paris last week and was so very happy I had found room
in my suitcase for a small Bogen tripod. Small rain slick cobblestone streets
in the Latin Quarter lit only by street lamps, the Montmartre staircase, not
to mention the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame and on and on are
all in their glory at night. Need inspiration? Stop in any of the poster
shops and look at the black and white prints of the great French
photographers. Certainly rekindled my interest in B&W film. My OM-2n, 28 2.0
and 35-70 3.6 performed flawlessly and I was really impressed by the Om2's
ability to capture the night time scenes. Conspicuous? I suppose, with my
satchel and tripod slung over my shoulder. But no one bothered me when I was
out at 5 in the morning or 11 at night. And if your wife is with you, she
could always watch your back;)  So my vote is for your Olympus kit...and if
you can manage it, a tripod, too!

John Hays