[OM] Camera safety in Europe (was Italy: Camera/lens advice)

Subject: [OM] Camera safety in Europe (was Italy: Camera/lens advice)
From: "Enrique Cabrera" <qcabrera@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:02:58 +0100
Dear Zholiks:

I happen to live in Spain (which you would rate as a "similar"
country regarding Italy). I have lived a year in the US and another
year in the UK. I have been fortunate enough to travel throughout
Europe, and I would say that safety is alike in all these places in
general. All western Europe is "safe" according to American
standards, and I would say that Northern Europe is even better than
the States.

However, if you happen to go to the wrong places, of course you'll
need to take care of your stuff. If you happen to go to NYC and be in
the wrong place at the wrong time, I don't think Italy beats that
security-wise by any means. And we could say that about just any
large US city. And any European capital for that matter.

As for Italy, all I can say is that it is the only place in the world
where I think I could live, other than in Spain. Italians know about
food and wine, the weather is fantastic, the country is so diverse,
and rich culturally. Their cities claim for discovery. I reckon you
could point your OM randomly in Rome and get an exciting detail of
arquitecture (OM content <g>). When I'm in Italy I feel like at
home,... and that includes safety.

It is true we all have stories to tell. My parents were robbed in
Milan 25 years ago. All their belongings were in their car and it got
broken into. Some nice Italians helped them with some money to drive
back home... (no Visa or Amex back then). However Europe has changed
a lot, and single events are not to be taken as the rule. I would say
that the greatest danger for us is the "tourist look" one can get
with all the OM stuff hanging from the shoulder. But that goes more
by neighbourhoods than by countries.

Quique (Enrique Cabrera)       qcabrera@xxxxxxxxxx

A real Nowhere Man, sitting in his Nowhereland
The Spanish Beatles page          http://www.upv.es/beatles
The Ultimate Beatles Archives     http://www.gmf.upv.es/beatles
      THE END         (And,in the end, the love you take
                            is equal to the love you make)