Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Lightweight bikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Lightweight bikes
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:13:35 +0100
Yo,

on Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:11:51 -0800 (PST), Acer V wrote:

>say, is it true that as you aproach the torque peak in 1st gear, yout
>automagically pop a wheelie unless you lean forward to counteract that? or
>is that true only for sportbikes (aka crotch rockets)>

It is not only due to torque, but to a number of factors. For instance, my
XT 350 will do it when you try a quick start at a light turning green, and
even when suddenly going to full trottle in first gear while slowly rolling
- you really have to fight to keep it down. This is certainly not due to its
27 horses, and neither to its typical 350-torque (I don't know its nominal
values for torque, but it can't be too much with a diplacement of 350 cc),
but rather to its light weight (which also seems to be distributed more
towards the back, making the front even lighter) and short gear ratio
(designed for off-road). The FJ, on the other hand, won't do it in spite of
being known for very high torque (no wonder at 1200 cc) and its 130 horses -
it's front-heavy (of course, I haven't tried full-throttle jump-starts with
it - I'm not quite suicidal enough to do that on a public road).

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx