Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Lightweight bikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Lightweight bikes
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:22:00 +0100
Yo,

on Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:57:05 EST, George wrote:

>I had always had Hondas, and lusted
>after BMWs.

I've had a Honda, two Suzukis, three Yamahas (two of them are my current
bikes), liked them all, but the Honda (Magna V.65) and the FJ best. Never
lusted after BMWs - love the seating position on most of them, but IMHO the
quality especially of the newer ones is less than convincing.

>And the brakes are among the best in the market- twin discs in
>front, single disc in rear, all four-caliper.

I had the impression that the weight of the bike (tried it last year -
switched bikes with someone at a meeting last September for about 30
minutes, don't remember the exact model, but he said it was 5 months old; no
floorboards anyway) was a bit too much for them. I just didn't feel safe
with them. And while I'd sometimes prefer a slightly more upright seating
position than what my FJ offers, that position of constantly slightly
leaning back on the Harley is something I think I couldn't stand very long.
A little bit like the position on the Magna, which was the one thing that
mildly bothered me about the bike at the time, but much more extreme.
I guess Harleys just aren't my thing, but wouldn't it be boring if we all
enjoyed the same bikes? Though we all here on the list enjoy OMs, yet it's
not boring at all... ;-)

>Enjoy the ride, and stay safe,

Thanks, you do the same. Not much enjoying riding here currently, though -
too much ice and snow and salt on the roads, so the FJ stays in the garage,
and the XT is used mainly for very short rides (shopping, or go see
friends). Oh well - eventually spring will come.

Lhg,
mtFbwy,
Volkhart

P.S.: I guess it's time we took this thread off-list to make room for all
those mountain and other non-motorized bikers. ;-)