Re: [OM] OM Tank Bag (was ltwt bikes)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Tank Bag (was ltwt bikes)
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:45:34 +0100
Yo,

on Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:39:50 +0100, Chris Barker wrote:

>This may not be what you intended, but Billingham bags, the better
>ones, have loops top and bottom to accept the backpack harness.  You
>could get them to fit to a normal tank bag base surely?  Billingham
>make many different types of decent bag, all of canvas and leather
>but pretty weatherproof.

I know Billingham bags are great, and possible they really could be adapted
to a tank bag base, as you suggest.
However, I think I'm better off with a tank bag insert for the following
reasons: the tank bag I'm using now consists of the base and two top parts
(of equal size; you could say it's "two stories high"), and all three parts
can be combined using zippers (or you can just use the base with one part).
The bottom part has straps and can be carried like a backpack when separated
from the base, even with the top part attached (as long as you don't have
heavy stuff in it, which might seriously interfere with your equilibrium
;-)), and both parts accept individual shoulder straps. I usually put lots
of various stuff I need on longer trips in the bottom part, and my OM gear
in the top part, on top of a large, soft, folded towel. My idea is to make
some kind of insert of foam or something to replace the towel, fitting
snugly into the top part, and having compartments to hold, say, two bodies
with attached lenses, two or three extra lenses, a flash, mini-tripod, some
filters, film, spare batteries, and all the other bits and pieces I like to
have for shooting. This way, with a shoulder strap attached, I could carry
the top part as a normal camera bag. The entire thing would be extremely
versatile. I'm just still looking for the right kind of foam.
The main setbacks I see in your idea are that on one hand I'd lose the
bottom part, which is valuable storage space, of which you don't have too
much on a bike, and on the other, that this same bottom part would no longer
serve as a buffer to swallow some of the vibrations while riding and get the
camera gear away from the big magnets in the base (I'm not sure they would
be harmful to the OM's, but I'd just rather not try it out as long as I
don't _know_ they won't hurt my stuff). Also, my tank bag has transparent
map compartments on top of both bag-parts which are very handy - and I
assume there isn't any Billingham model with something like that.

>Chris
>... whose social secretary and travelling companion won't let him
>look at bikes again - I could have bought a tax-free small HD in
>Incirlik for only $5,000 :-(.

Well, as you know, Harleys aren't my favorite.....  but still, there are
times when listening to your "social secretary" is plain counterproductive.
Imagine someone offered you a brand new 4Ti for, say, $250 (which would be
about the equivalent of the deal you mentioned). Would you ask your
secretary? Nah, I'd have to see that in order to may be believe it.... ;-)

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx