Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Lightweight bikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Lightweight bikes
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:23:31 +0100
Yo ,

on Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:40:18 EST, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Volkhart, I used to feel as you do, but have you truly checked out the new
>Harleys?  That twin cam 88 engine (introduced in 1999) IS smooth, nothing
>like the old days. The engines are rubber mounted and have counterbalancers
>and six computer chips inside. Harley technology is actually "cutting edge"
>these days. For me, there's nothing better for a long haul than a big "Hog".

They do, indeed, seem smoother, but as yet they still have to prove they're
more reliable - they simply haven't been around long enough to do so. And
didn't you mention that yours still loosens screws in items you carry in
your saddle bags? I've taken OM's and XAs on tours of several thousand kms
(partly in a tank bag, partly in my Givi trunk - by the way I'm still
thinking about the best way to make a tank bag insert to accommodate my
OM-equipment) and my FJ never did anything of that kind to them.
Plus I still find the position you have to assume on most Harleys extremely
unsuitable for long trips (like all day), they are too slow to effectively
cover distances on the Autobahn when the need arises (no fun, anyway, so I
like to keep it short), and the brakes, though better than before, are
simply scary to me.

As I said, I understand, but personally I vastly prefer my FJ and XT (each
for its purpose).

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--