Re: [OM] If you had to choose only ONE body . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] If you had to choose only ONE body . . .
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:51:26 -0700
Add me to the OM2S camp. I have no use for the "Program" mode but I do
use the spot meter a lot. Much as I like the thought of multi-spot
metering it is something that I seldom would put to real good use since
I really have no time to think about things as much as I would like to
(and would if I did a whole lot of other types of photography besides
racing). Intersting comments from wunderbrick users overheard at the
tracks are things like "I don't even know how to use 900f the features
this camera has but they're cool." I'm serious...this is not an unusual
comment...

I have never been let down by my OM2S bodies. I don't even really have
serious battery consumption issues...I leave 'em in the bodies year
'round and make sure I have spares and leave it at that. The AE metering
is always dead on with slide film (which is crucial for me...like I
said, I don't have time to screw around as it is enough to think about
composing, getting shutter speeds in the right range, and keeping one
eye open for where to jump if a car goes off).

I tend to choose my shots and use "sequence mode" on my winders only for
start/finish shots. The entire rest of the time it is single shots and
timing my release point. I don't blow through film like crazy as tends
to happen with 10FPS wunderbricks. (I can't even fathom using up a roll
of film in 3.6 seconds...) In other words speed isn't really an
issue...I manage to get acceptable results.

When I first saw this thread I thought to myself OM3ti. Then I
thought...uh uh, no AE that I have come to rely on. Then I thought
OM4ti. Yeah...perhaps, but what would I really use on an OM4ti that the
OM2S doesn't offer me now. Nothing really.

The only downside is serviceability. Specifically lack of a spare
"circuit" now. I have had great reliability though and if it were only
one I would simply chuck it and buy another if the circuit died. Used
OM2S bodies don't cost much more than a OM4ti overhaul anyway.

BTW, I assume adding an IS-3 as a P&S doesn't count towards the "ONE
body" rule since it is not a "body" right?

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com