Re: [OM] If you had to choose only ONE body . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] If you had to choose only ONE body . . .
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:24:56 +0200 (CEST)
Gregg,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Gregg Iverson wrote:

> If I read this correctly, you can spot meter the critical areas then push
> the memory button to save the information for the next hour or so.

Correct - and I do so when I use the OM4 or Ti. However in rapidly
changing light (such as at dusk or dawn - favourite times of mine for
photography), this isn't worth much. If I am to take pictures under
"steady" light conditions, then the memory wheel (although still hard to
access with a winder mounted) is usefull.

> Usually
> the 4T is close enough in auto mode that you won't need the spot metering
> anyway.

I do not see auto mode and spot-metering as excluding one another. The
OM4's do (contrary to the 2s/p) spot-metering, also in auto-mode. The
choise of spot vs. average influences as I see it "where and how" the
light is measured, whereas the "auto" designates that the camera selects
the shutter speed based on whatever apeture + light meterings you have
done.

Even the best "auto-mode" (i.e. apeture priority) will screw up the
exposure if you have a surplus of bright highlights or deep shaddows
surrounding your topic of photography (as per the "18 0rey
expected by the meter"-rule). Spot-metering may in such situations help
greatly.

A shortcomming of the OM2s/p - admittedly - is that spot-metering is not
available in anything but manual mode. Perhaps my preference for
spot-metering in the OM2s/p-way is the real source of my preference for
manual modes alltogether?

--thomas