Re: Fwd: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?

Subject: Re: Fwd: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:10:38 +0000
[begin heresy]
Two other excellent camera systems are around on the used market.  Yes, it
would mean him starting a system different than yours.

The ubiquitous Pentax "K" mount:
The K-1000 was nicknamed "student's camera" in the U.S. and there were
additional bodies made with more features.  They are about the same size
and weight as the Oly bodies and the Takumar lenses are decent.  The
drawback is most have no DOF preview nor self-timer.

The also ubiquitous older Nikon's:
I'm not thinking about the F-2, but more along the lines of a lighter FM-2
body.  The Nikkor lenses are also good.  Would definitely not recommend an
F-2 or an F.  Built like a brick outhouse, they are big and heavy compared
to the OM's.  There are issues, difficulties and/or expense with the F and
F-2 prism finders, and collectors are driving prices up on F and F-2 bodies
and accessories.  Not so much though on most of the lenses though as the
mount (AI-S??) spans so many bodies.
[end heresy]

If nothing else, it gives you two other good beginner systems from which to
benchmark.

-- John