Re: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:40:13 +0100
I don't think of my OM40 as being very inferior to my two OM-2n bodies, it's
just a bit different. It's a bit noisier than the other two in use but
nowhere near as clattery as an OM10, which I could hardly wait to get rid
of. (My old OM-1n was quieter than all of them - my sister, who has it now,
says it sounds like a hamster sneezing.) Until Thomas mentioned it, I hadn't
thought of the potential problem of having the wrong shutter speed set in
manual mode, but I rarely use mine that way; it seems a backward step to
select whole speeds when the shutter is stepless in auto mode, and I've
learned to trust auto metering as being more accurate, except in extreme
lighting conditions,  than when I've interfered with it. Another minor
drawback with the OM40 for manual mode use is that the pentaprism housing
has a slight overhang that makes the shutter speeds less easy to see, but
when I used the OM-1 exclusively I knew what speed was set by feeling the
position of the 'ears,' a facility I've probably lost now.

There have been reports of OM40s being battery eaters, but I was using mine
in the garden a couple of days ago after fourteen months of ownership with
the original batteries still in place. I've been switching to Manual before
putting it away - I don't know if that helps but it obviously does no harm.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)
k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx