Re: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera? -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera? -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:56:46 -0400
Well, George, neither do I. I've used an OM-PC to manually meter macro shots fer
years and find it perfectly straightforward, and even instructive (to a
beginner) as the relationship between ss and aperture becomes self-evident. This
aint no rangefinder where you have an uncoupled meter. I  guess you could say
matched meter reading has a certain elegance to it. You can get a correct
exposure by turning the ss and aperture rings without looking at their actual
settings, but who does that? It certainly wouldn't be the way for a beginner to
understand DOF or the relation between ss, motion stop, and handholdability. I
dunno, I *always* have a mental picture of the ss/aperture combo I'm using, even
when using auto.  This is VERY helpful in cross checking the reasonablness of
yer settings. Also makes the switch to manual swifter, when you want it. With
the OM-PC in manual, it screams the ss you're setting for a particular lens
opening which, for me, solidifies it in memory (short term wetware type).   On
the OM-1 you must be aware of what ss you're at via the peek at the ring method.
Of course, once you know what ss and aperture you're using, you need only click
one stop on each to retain correct exposure, and keep a mental record of where
things are set (or peek when you have the time). But this is always true once
you've determined correct exposure by any means.  That said, I do prefer the
OM-4ti's pseudo analog match meter scale as a method for manual mode on an
auto-capable body.

Nope, I don't get it. Gotta feeling this is gonna open a can o' worms though...

 lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Models with cumbersome manual metering, like the OM40, misdirect the user
into
>  automatic modes.

<<I don't get it.

George S.>>