Re: [OM] Photo quality printer

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo quality printer
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:25:01 -0700
Money is indeed an issue, but if you ever consider something even better than minilab print,
there is FUJI pictography 3000.

Well, if money isn't an issue, you could consider something like the Roland FJ-50, which was designed for the fine art market, and has been making 120+ year prints for years -- long before magazine editors started touting Epson's vaporware announcement as "the first archival ink-jet."

And then there's always Scitex's Iris printers, at about $96,000. You can find them used under $15,000, but a maintenance contract is $1,200 a month!

I do not have the slightest idea about the price of printer, but the paper (actually a
polaroid-type photo-print paper) costs $10/page.

I think the 3000 is under $20,000, with the 4000 running about $24,000. What steered me away was the relative impermanence of the prints -- Wilhelm tests Fuji Crystal Archive at a mere 65 years.

Nothing comparable to laserjets or inkjets which all put "dots", no matter how dense.

I guess simply knowing the dots are there creates a bias, even though you can't see them if properly done.

I just did a show in Washington, and nobody complained about the dots. In fact, several experienced photographers looked very closely, then asked what sort of darkroom I had! :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>