Re: [OM] on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] on ebay
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:05:26 +0000
Boris,

You are pretty new to the list so you have not seen this happen yet
(someone post their own auction to the list).

Accepted practice is list members do _not_ post their eBay auctions to the
list.  If an item is to sold, many will offer it to the list members first
for a few days at a fixed price and then auction it on eBay if it doesn't
sell.  I will admit to having auctioned a couple OM items without offering
to the list first at a fixed price, which others do also.  I think this is
to keep the list from becoming a "billboard" for auction advertising and
many photo related mailing lists have a similar policy.  One variation is
the Rollei mailing list which allows "FS" postings *only* on Fridays.  You
will see an occasional auction posted here, but not by the seller, if it is
highly unusual as in the recent lens hood . . . or perhaps the 40mm pancake
and 8mm fisheye (both very rare lenses).

A number of us regularly cruise the two Olympus areas on eBay and use the
search feature at the top of the listing to find things.  If you bookmark
these two links, it will take straight there and I have set up the "myEbay"
to come up with the links automagically as "my favorites" so I can use them
if I am logged into eBay:

Olympus bodies and accessories (except lenses):
  http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/category3333/index.html
Olympus lenses and lens accessories:
  http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/category3344/index.html

-- John