Re: [OM] on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] on ebay
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 04:06:28 -0400
From: Boris Grigorov
> HI, all.
> I need some buying method suggestions. About ready to
> give up on ebay(heard a lot of praises about it lately from
> some of the members)
> Let me know if I am out of my mind.
> My last two transactions were disasterous.
> simonsays10@xxxxxxxxxxx sent me a lens(Zuiko) full of
> fungus and a flash with a broken plate. Nothing that I could
> do, because we negotiated the deal after the bidding was
> closed.

I'm not clear on what you mean here.  If you worked out a deal outside of
the auction peramiters of eBay then you are on your own with little or no
recourse.

Now, another guy wants to refund my money for the
> broken lens he send only if I pay for the shipping($13 both
> ways).

$13 for shipping seems quite expensive!  As others have mentioned, use the
feedback option regularly and well.  Sometimes it is what isn't said that is
more important than what is said.  Some of the sellers are quite creative
with their use of English when they list an item they have for sale.  Others
just seem to be overly optimistic in what they have. Also, when the list
becomes aware of a suspicious item it is often mentioned and discussed.

The bottom line is probably that you learn most from playing the game.  Just
like in other forms of auctions, at one time or another you get burned.  But
at one time or another you get a really good deal.

You have mentioned trusting the list members,  I wonder if you are aware of
which are selling items on eBay?  Some can be easily identified, while
others can only be guessed at :-)

Gregg