Re: [OM] on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] on ebay
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:52:34 -0700
My last two transactions were disasterous...
...another guy wants to refund my money for the
broken lens he send only if I pay for the shipping($13 both
ways).

First, did you check feedback on the guy first?

Second, assuming he was lily-clean, did you threaten to tarnish his reputation?

In my experience, feedback is a powerful tool with sellers that have more than a few points. I generally won't bid on things offered by those with suspicious feedback. It is possible to get bad feedback without deserving it, but if there is several, and they all sound reasonable, and the rebuttal (if any) is not, I steer clear.

(Unfortunately, those who get bad feedback often start over with a new name.)

I bought a lens described as "perfect glass," and discovered it was thoroughly fungused -- I politely, but firmly, told the seller I expected him to pay round-trip shipping, since the item was not as described. He agreed, and did. I then left positive, but not laudatory, feedback.

I need to complain a little more. I have been on the list for
about a month. Ever since I subscribed started to get this
junk mail from some @compuserve.com.

Welcome to the Internet. It may just be co-incidence. I get tens of these a week -- sometime tens in a day!

Has anyone succeeded
removing itself from their list?

The consensus on spammers is: DO NOT reply, asking to be received. This serves as confirmation that yours is a working address, and you'll be spammed all the more afterward.

If you have time to kill, turn on the "all headers" option, and report the spam to each domain in the header to abuse@ and postmaster@, EXCEPT for the final one in the From: or Reply-To: fields, for reasons above.

I take the time to complain to those coming from popular free-email sites, like hotmail or excite, or well-known services, like msn.com or yahoo.com. They take action and boot the suckers. I also take time to complain if the spam is particularly offensive to me, such as porn, get-rich-quick schemes, or sellers of email lists.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>