Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"

Subject: Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 08:18:24 -0400
John,

I definitely agree with you on this one. My recommendation to serious photographers who asked my opinion on getting into a "real" camera system has been to go to your local, pro-caliber store and try them all. Pick 'em up, change lenses, open the backs to load film, put them around your neck, use all the controls, etc. If you're going to "live" with a camera, it should suit your shooting style, the size/shape of your hands, and your personality. It's a shame that most people buy a camera system based on some marketing-driven reputation, a bigoted recommendation, a magazine article, or snobbery. Most probably need a real good P&S anyway.

When I bought my first OM-1 in 1976, I did the hands-on evaluation as above, and I must have tried 5 different bodies at the time before settling on the OM.

BTW John - What were the three beasties that you were evaluating, and did you ever make a choice?

Skip