Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"

Subject: Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:52:32 -0400
Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx> asked:

> BTW John - What were the three beasties that you were evaluating, and did
> you ever make a choice?

Ummm.... the cameras were Toyo views - a flat-bad field model and two
monorails.  The field model was beautiful, well crafted and light for its
size.  But the movements were far too restricted.  A shame really.  The two
monorails both felt flimsy.  None of the movements were smooth, either too
stiff or too sloppy.  I tried to convince myself it would be ok as the USA
distributor was offering a terrific deal, but in the end decided no deal was
good enough to not feel right.  I kept looking and found a well used
Horseman 450 for a quarter of the comparable Toyo model.  All the controls
are smooth but firm, all the locks are positive and I can operate everything
without looking up from the groundglass.  It's even ambedextrious.  The only
thing I'm having an awkward time with is setting the shutter - the aperture
lever in under the lens and the indicating pointer is on top.

Using the OM-4T with a 200mm lens makes great spotmeter indeed.  <--
Obligatory OM content

John P