Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"

Subject: Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 05:44:42 -0500
On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 10:28:07PM -0400, John Petrush wrote:
> This "feel" is not only a very difficult concept to explain but is
> confounding to those who do not appreciate its importance.

Amen to that. There's no substitute to handling a camera for discovering if
you *like* it. If you don't like the way it feels, you won't have it in your
hands as often as you'd like, and you won't have as much fun - which, after
all, is the idea. (Yes, even for a pro. If a pro photographer doesn't enjoy
making images, he's in the wrong line of work, and the results will show
it.)

It's very subjective. While I razz my Nikon-loving father constantly about
his choice of camera systems, it's what feels best to him, and I respect
that.

Before you buy a computer monitor or a TV, spend some time looking at them,
since that's what you'll be doing for hours on end. Similarly, before you
buy a gun or a camera, soend some time handling them, since that's what
you'll be doing with them. In particular, handle them *without* looking at
them from angles other than which you'll be using them from. Controls on the
top or front of the camera won't be visible if you're using an eye-level
finder, so don't look at them while operating them. If you can't figure out
by feel or viewfinder indication where a control is set, then there's a
problem. If it takes an awkward contortion to set something with the camera
held as you would while getting ready to take a picture, then you should
think about whether that's something you're going to do under those
conditions. And so on. The point is to use it, as you would normally, and
think about whether you like to use it. You'll have to live with the
decision for quite a while, unless you're made of money.