Re: Re[4]: [OM]Leica vs Om (was Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested)

Subject: Re: Re[4]: [OM]Leica vs Om (was Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested)
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:58:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Richard Ross wrote:

> At 15:15 06/08/99 +0800, JIM_TEO@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >     Such comparison is somehow totally out, how could we compare a
> >     primitive camera to a high tech one? It is just like recording a 100M
> >     sprint timing using a sundial to a digital watch.
> >

> Indeed - the comparison is really akin to that of two types of digital
> watch.  A fairer Leitz vs Oly comparison would be between OM and the Leica
> *R* system, for there are significant operational differences between SLR
> and RF systems.

  Had Richard read the original post, he would have realized that the
quote from Jim was referring to the use of a pinhole camera vs. an
F5 + 300/2.8 to cover a boxing match. The idea being that for certain
uses, certain types of cameras can and do make a difference. The RFs
(and not just the Leica, but RFs in general) have their charms
and strengths. Comparing one to an SLR is perfectly legitimate.

> A friend of mine has used both OM and Leica R systems
> extensively and feels that in general the Leica lenses perform more
> consistently, e.g over a wider range of apertures, but acknowledges that
> there are Zuikos which are at least the equal of some of the Leitz
> equivalents.

   I have said this before about my experience between OM &
my Leitz M series lenses.

> I have no *personal* experience of any SLR system
> other than the OM with which I've always been perfectly happy, ever since
> my first OM-10 in 1978, so like Will von Dauster, who wrote
>
> >I feel no need to "upgrade" my cameras on a regular
> >basis. The few times I have bought and used different systems, I have latter
> >regretted it. I suppose this makes me a marketer's nightmare.

   You and Will address an issue I never approached, never said or
imagined. I do not consider my M6 an "upgrade" (Nor my F4s) from Olympus.

    Where's my Nomex undies ????

               *= Doris Fang =*  Feeling like a witness before the
House Un-OMerican Activities Committee, while being a charter member
Zuikette fromm day Zero. Geez.