RE: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested

Subject: RE: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:55:33 +0000
Doris replied, quoting me:

>>No, I don't doubt their ability, but there are plenty of camera owners who
buy >>Leica for the name of the front.

>  I wasn't talking about them. I strictly, deliberately and carefully
>mentioned top-level shooters precisely to dodge this tangent.

I think we were talking at cross-purposes.  I never suggested that
photographers, famous or otherwise, were foolish in choosing to buy a Leica.
I'm sure you'd agree with Giles, who wrote:

>You are right though, the tools are far less important than the craftsman who
>wields them and we get hung up on the equipment but I think it is far
harder to
>discuss the non technical aesthetic aspects of photography with words than
it >is to discuss the technical side of things.

Discussing non-technical aesthetic aspects of photography is more valuable
to us as intelligent human beings than talking about hardware.  To counter
this, may I add that I think knowing technical information can help us
discover what is possible, and can enlighten one's practise.  I hope the
growth in online galleries (the unofficial OM gallery, ADITL and individual
pages by list members) will further this cause.  Also, the easy path is
rarely the best IMHO.

Simon E.