RE: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested

Subject: RE: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:23:47 -0700
Hi All,

Actually both Simon and Doris make excellent points, I think. Since I use
both systems professionally, I thought I'd add my two cents to this
discussion. Simon says (ahem):

<<Also, I don't doubt that Leica make superb cameras.  The point is that
when
I take a photo with my OMs and with a Leica it may be impossible to see a
difference.  Which begs the question of what is the Leica owner paying for?
But if they're happy....  I think far too many people are hung up on brand
names above other aspects of photography (and watches and cars and tennis
racquets and shoes and... ad infinitum).>>

In my experience, the best Olympus lenses compete very well with the
middle-of-the-line Leica glass. For example, the Zuiko 35mm f2 compares
favorably with the last pre-aspheric 35mm Summicron-M, to my eyes both are
very sharp and both produce a similar "3D" look in my slides. The Zuiko 50mm
f2 Macro may indeed outperform the current 50mm Summicron-M at some
apertures. Other Zuiko lenses are equally outstanding.

Having said this - and you knew this was coming - there is no comparing
anything in the Olympus line with the Noctilux f1, the Summilux 35mm f1.4
ASPH, or the 90mm Apo-ASPH Summicron-M, etc. Combined with the lower
vibration and quieter shutter on the M cameras, and rangefinder Leicas can
get superior pictures in situations where other cameras fear to tread.

My point, I guess, is that there are photographic situations in which the
rangefinder Leicas excel, even if there are a slew of Leica dilettante using
them as status symbols of some kind. Actually, you know, a Nikon F5 or Canon
EOS 1N with a fat zoom attached makes for a much more impressive fashion
statement - and chiropractors like them, too...

Will von Dauster

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde