Re: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested

Subject: Re: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:03:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

> and Homebaked bread is just like wonderbread

 Barf! Wonderbread is an insult to home-baked.

> and a mass produced Corrolla doesn't break
>       down as often as a Mercedes Benz

  Nor do one's legs. A Ferrari needs even more attention, therefore
it's worse. Is there an outbreak of viral Luddite-ism going around ?

> and a bicycle is just like a Ford Behemouth

  Naaaaaaah, it's BETTER. So is a skateboard. Although the Ford Explorer
almost accounted for its existence when it put Monica close to the Darwin
Awards last week. :-)

> and the best things in life are free
> and which is better, to have or to to be?

  Egalitarian and poetic as that is, could someone please show me the
line to the free OM-3ti's ? <}----<<< OM content

> and Betamax is better than VHS
>       (go rent some tapes)

  True, but I'd have to borrow a machine from  a museum.

> and an apple tastes just like an onion
>       (if you smell an onion while eating it)

   Tape a piece of M6 leatherette to your OM-1! :-)

> and a tele-evagelist sure needs those air conditioned
>        dog houses to save more souls

  ...and I thought they needed crystal cathedrals and slick girlfriends...

> and a $500 military hammer nails 100 times
>        better than a $5 Sears special

    That's almost seditious. Next thing you'll be telling me the
$250,000 outhouse is no good.

> and a gold plated military toilet seat certainly
>       beats a home crapper and is worth every
>       cent of taxpayers money

 I knew it.  Yeah, bbbb-b-b-b-butt, what about the aesthetics ?

> and a $20 Olympus  loupe on an OM1 is just like
>       an $800 Summicron-M on an M6,

  Nope. The OM loupe can't do pictures. The M6+$800 Summi Loupe can.
Seriously, this is not, and never has been about "My dog's better than
your dog". OM is great. I probably own and use more of it than most
listmembers, but don't go selling other brands short to make the case.
OM is great on its own right.

>       only better after hiking a 100miles carrying it.
> and given a double blind test the photographs are
>        indistinguishable

  It isn't about lens sharpness, folks. Or about saying the M6 is BETTER
than an OM. My point is, it's damned good stuff. Quality rangefinders
with interchangeable lenses are rare, to put it mildly. I own both,
and both have their merits.

> and the "Leica look" is the look the hoods give you
>       when carrying your M6 gold brick in East LA
> However,if you want to use your camera lens for
>       nailing then a Summicron beats a 50mm
>       OM loupe anyday

  Hmmmm....an admission of durability ? Is that what is meant by a
"beater" camera ? :-)

> and if you ** think ** a Summicron makes a difference
>       to your photography it probably does
> and if you treat your camera like jewelery,
>        it is jewelery
> and the reason all those great photographers did not
>        carry many lenses was the distraction
>        would have prevented them from being
>        great photographers

  Many carried all the lenses available for it in their day.
  Although many top photographers today do not carry many lenses, either.
  The recipient of the Eugene Smith 1999 Award happens to be a world-class
 journalist that works with ONE lens [No, not a Leica, or OM].

> and if only we used the time we agonize over
>        hardware practising our photography
>        we certainly would make up for any
>       differences real or imagined between lenses
> Go Take Some Photographs  !

   ... and I do...check the archives, I don't post much these days.
I only buy stuff because it works for me. For jewelry, I'm on the gold
standard. Sheesh.

  Tim, I loved your rant ! The only big deal besides the flange-film
spacing would be the cams, I suppose. I still think Olympus could give
Leitz and Contax a run for their money any day. Though when one is selling
millions of Stylii, why bother ?

                                    *= Doris Fang =*