Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift

Subject: Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:25:15 -0700
>From: "Irvin Bennett" <ibennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> I'm afraid that affordable and 24mm Shift aren't words that go together on
>> the same line...
>
>    I am beginning to figure that out.  The Farrar lens guide (unofficial)
>lists the price used as "$750 to $1100..."

With all due respect to the tremendous effort he puts into his wonderful
site, I think Paul was smoking something when he saw those prices!

After searching for over six months, I found one at the right price at Ken
Hansen in NYC. It was marked $1200, but it was a slow day and I managed to
talk him down to $875 (over $950 after taxes -- a bitter pill for an
Oregonian, where there's no sales tax).

The closest I got to that previously was a couple at $1000, but both were
gone by the time I called. If you need one quick, plan to spend at least
$1200 -- they seem to be relatively plentiful at that price.

>...  Is there some type of zuiko shift lens cartel fixing prices?

I think so, and I think you are talking to them right now! :-) The more
exotic Zuikos have achieved collectable status, and some of the most rabid
collectors are watching, waiting to pounce. (Just try to buy one of the
fast teles if you think the shift is dear!)

Another reason these are rare: Ken Hansen explained to me is that a lot of
Nikon and Canon (and even Leica) owners are buying the top regarded Zuikos
and converting them. He said he's converted three or four 24 shifts in the
past year, and the only reason I was able to rescue this one was because
his technician was on vacation. When I was there, he had in his case a
Zuiko 180/2 mounted on a Leica body!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229