switching mounts was: Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shi

Subject: switching mounts was: Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:35:13 -0700
>From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>How easy--or should I ask "hard"?--is it to switch mounts?

It depends on the register, or mount-to-film distance. As I recall, Olympus
is rather long (to fit the oversized mirror?), so OM lenses move to other
cameras, but not vice-versa. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I got
that backwards... :-)

>... Loss of quality?

Not if you put it on a smaller register body, but there is loss of
function. You lose the automatic diaphram.

>Slight change in f/length?

To convert a lens to a longer register requires either a correction lens,
or you lose the ability to focus to infinity. The corrector lens introduces
a slight loss of quality, and a slightly lower focal length.

I have no idea about the price, bu I would think this is only economically
feasable for the exotic lenses, such as the 24 shift and fast teles, which
is where it seems to be happening.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229