Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift

Subject: Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:15:41 -0400
"Affordable 24mm shift" is a pure oxymoron, kinda like "government
intelligence".  As Warren pointed out, a low-end view camera is actually
economically viable, at least the acquisition costs are similar.  However,
the cost of continuing operastions, to borrow a euphamism from the financial
world, is many times higher.  Film, on a per shot basis, is at least 10
times the cost.  Mind you, the images are magnificent on that vast expance
of film, but its still expensive.  For Zuikos, we are getting accustomed to
paying a fairly high price compared to other brands.  But all view lenses
tend to be pricey as they also each have a shutter.  Check - it adds up
fast.

Learning the basics of view camera operation is fairly straightforward.  B&H
has a fine introduction to the elements of camera movements on their website
at http://www.bhphoto.com/photo/large/intro/introduction.html  It covers all
the basic movements and explains The Scheimpflug Rule well.  It is worth
spending a few minutes reading it.

I did not hear mentioned the use of a roll film back, unless that is what
Warren means by a "reducing back".  Several vendors offer a back which fits
in the standard sheet film holder, but holds 120 roll film in formats from
6x4.5 to 6x9.  You need get better results using lenses with smaller image
circles that normal 4x5 lenses, and in shorter focal lengths to accomodate
the smaller film size.  It is a very viable option given the specialty of
what you are trying to do.

If you are feeling positively wealthy, look into the View Camera converter
from Horseman, also posted on B&H's website.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".