Re: [OM] Life is good with an OM4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Life is good with an OM4T
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:44:46 -0500
At 10:31 PM 4/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I have used an Om4T for years, but just recently came to appreciate the
>remarkable range of its meter. While shooting slot canyons in Arizona I was
>faced with constantly changing exposure conditions and dramatic contrast.

Hi Ron,

This is a great testimonial.  I recall Gary Reese suggested something
similar last summer about using the OM-4 to "meter" fireworks for his LF
setup.  I followed his suggestions with both my OM-2S and OM-1 on tripods,
and find that the OM-2S is also a time-exposure champ, as I guess is
well-known.

Let me make sure I understand.  This is a high contrast situation, where it
is possible to identify a suitable middle value for spot metering?  Except
for those areas of middle value, the rest of the values will fall off the
scale to opaque black?  Which is why the OM-4T works in this situation but
your OM-2N does not (since it would average in the shadows and burn out the
middle values)?

I have had good success in similar (although perhaps not so extreme)
situations with my OM-2S by setting exposure compensation to -1 or so to
counter the influence of the shadows on the overall auto exposure.  But it
sounds like the OM-4T does a great job in these situations, especially when
you might only get the chance to take one shot during critical lighting.

Joel