[OM] Life is good with an OM4T

Subject: [OM] Life is good with an OM4T
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:31:50 -0600
Hello all,

I have used an Om4T for years, but just recently came to appreciate the
remarkable range of its meter. While shooting slot canyons in Arizona I was
faced with constantly changing exposure conditions and dramatic contrast.
Several photographers were struggling with exposure meters and stopwatches
as they tried in vain to estimate the necessary exposures for this
challenging venue. To achieve the extreme depth of field necessary for this
location, and while using slow Velvia film, exposures often ran 60-180
seconds at f11-22. What a joy it was to merely point my OM4T at a scene,
spot meter the most neutral area, flick my cable release and set back to let
the meter do its work. As you know, as the light conditions changed, the
meter adjusted the exposure perfectly. Need exposures of 3 or even 4
minutes? No problem! I was delighted with the consistent accuracy of
exposure when I got my transparencies back. I do not think even the Nikon F5
has the ability to perform automatic time exposures of this length(I think
it will only go for 30 seconds!!). I plan to go back to the area and shoot
medium format with my Pentax 6x7, and plan to set up my Om4T side by side
with the Pentax and let the Om4T determine the exposure. Of course, I still
love my OM1 and OM2n, but life is soooo good with a OM4T!!

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM