Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:58:41 EDT
Ángel writes:

As an example of the expense of testing everything, a package with four
lenses arrived yesterday with postage of $57!  Expenses have been shared by
the nine or so OM List subscribers who have contributed to this effort.
Thanks again each and everyone (names witheld so as to protect their
financial investments).

Regarding settings on the zooms which match primes: I did finish up a roll
last night by re-shooting my 65-200 f/4 Zuiko at 90 mm.  That should serve to
match the 85mm f/2, 90mm f/2, 100mm f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.  The markings on the
zoom barrel aren't accurate for exact focal length matching, so the effort
seems to meet a "ballpark" comparison, as they say in the baseball mad USA.
Also, that zoom just got back from an Olympus America (Long Beach) overhaul
and I wanted to see if there was any improvement in optical performance.

Since I still have the 85-250 f/5 here as a testing loan, I'll go back and
fill in *some* gaps in prime matching focal lengths.  For once I have enough
film on hand, due to not being able to complete the testing of a former
Olympus employee's outfit.  The trouble is gap filling like you ask:

<< deserves a test more wide, including 85, 100, 135, 200 ... and 250 mm
f.length. >>

is there are many settings that match primes, like: 85, 90, 100, 135, 180,
200, 250.  It isn't so much the expense that limits my efforts, it sitting
lotus style staring at the same fine detail from frame to frame and
attempting to make SQF determinations.  Seven settings for one zoom is a
burnout.  If I have to do seven at a sitting, I'd rather be doing more
lenses.  Then there are other odd focal lengths, like 40, Leica's 75, 20
(various manufacturers), Contax's 25, etc.

The 75-150 was a loan, so it's no longer available for prime matching
testing.  But if I get one in on an outfit purchase, I'll probably test an
intermediate setting.

Here is a list of 13 non-fisheye Zuikos yet to be tested, with * next to ones
that I have lending offers on:

21 mm f/2.0
24mm f/3.5 Shift*
40 mm f/2.0*
50 mm f/1.2
180 mm f/2.0
250 mm f/2.0*
350 mm f/2.8
400mm f/6.3
500 mm f/8.0
1000 mm f/11
35-80 f/2.8 Zoom
50-250 mm f/5.0 Zoom
70-210 f/4.5~5.6  Zoom

If anyone cares to get theirs tested and it's on this list, please contact me
offline.  Ultimately we can say this was an effect independent of Olympus,
which shows us the power of the WWW in providing non-commercial information.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV