Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:09:38 EDT
In a message dated 4/11/99 2:56:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< The latter surprises me since the lore is that the 50-250 is the best
 Zuiko zoom ever, excepting of course the 35-80/2.8.  Can you elaborate
 on your comparisons between the 85- and the 50-250?

 George

Hello George,

I followed pretty much the same procedure, setting at f/11, focal length at
about 200mm, self-timer, velvia, and hillside.    I noticed greater detail in
the shots using the 85-250 under a 7x loupe, however, it was *really* hard to
see.    I'm still quite a fan of my 50-250,  and I suspect that it may beat
out the 85-250 at a longer setting, although I haven't tested that as
rigorously.

However, the 50-250 has lost it's place in my "serious" camera bag because of
my test results around the 200mm mark and because it does not have a tripod
collar.    I did take it with me on my honeymoon trip to the central coast of
California, as part of my "light" bag and I was extremely pleased with it's
performance.    Still a dynamite lens for travel - fast to handle, very
compact, very sharp, and incredible range.

Regards,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack, NY