Re: [OM] Interesting week in the land of the unpayed

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting week in the land of the unpayed
From: "tinkerer" <tinkerer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 12:20:05 -0400
Oh Ken.....two partners to dance with and you can only choose one.  Such a
dilemma <g>

In the free advice for what it's worth column I can offer my limited forays
into photojournalism as a "stringer" for a local small town newspaper.  You
get a free, front-seat ticket to every event around, from the county fair to
the local scholarship "shake and take" dinner.  The hours are long.  You are
essentially on call 24x7.  You >will< become a Photoshop expert.  You will
develop very strong shoulders carrying your bag around - double time - to
cover events.  You will see, and shoot, the most facinating and gruesome
stuff; you get the call for that huge wreck on the interstate too :(.

Photojournalism is great stuff.  There are slow days and days that never
end.  Negotiate a equipment replacement budget with your prospective
employer.  The heavy usage on gear takes its toll remarkably quickly.  Also
negotiate a rental budget for renting the esoteric lens, say a 500mm f/4 for
whatever, so you don't end up getting stuck buying one for yourself just for
work purposes.

The freedom to do what you want is priceless.  The clause "that you can't
have a side photography business" is, as you say, plain wrong.  In my mind,
either that clause is removed or we can't do business.  They are covering
their butt, at the expense of yours.  With the paper you can still do
product work.  In fact, with a full-time paycheck, you can afford to be more
selective in the product side of your work and take only those accounts you
like the best.

The new owners - they are not by chance Thomson Newspapers, Inc, are they?
Thompson is a Canadian company that has carved out the small town market
niche rather successfully.  They operate by tight cost controls and
agressive circulation and advertising expansion.  They just spent a small
fortune here on a new 24 inch, four color press.  The Florence Morning News
is regularly a top-10 growth performer.  They have pulled it out of the
ashes from the previous owners.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

<......great big snip.........>