Re: [OM] Interesting week in the land of the unpayed

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting week in the land of the unpayed
From: mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Stoesz)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:59:59 -0700
Ken was asking::

>Working for the small-town daily (6000 circulation) would also mean that
>I'd be a big fish in a small pond (they currently have no photographers per
>say, just reporters sporting cameras desparately trying to get beyond
>grip-and-grin) and would usually be getting pictures published on a daily
>basis.
>
>If wages/benefits were equivelent, and I had a decent equipment budget, I'm
>not sure which way I'd lean at this time, but the PJ job sounds
>interesting.  Maybe I can get them to buy me an F5 to sweeten the pot.

Ken I spent 15 years doing small town news photography, never boring if you
take advantage of the situations as presented or CREATED.  If there is no
NEWS, create and shoot feature stories, write stories, create photo
stories, tune into what is under the surface, write an outdoor or
photography column, write a HUMOR column, create a humor column along with
Gary Schloss and get syndicated.  Shoot outdoor stuff for your stock file,
shoot human interest for stock (more marketable than landscapes and
wildlife).

Find stories in your area for the "National Inquirer" they pay very well
and it can be done on the side.  Shoot some studio/product on the side with
the other guys if it can be done.

Read a book titled "Visual Impact in Print".

Best Wishes;

Mike

Mike Stoesz, VP
Rainbow Photography Inc.