Re: [OM] Macro Items on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Items on ebay
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:33:16 GMT
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:34:11 +0000, "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Frank, I apologise.  I actually agree with you about posts relating to ebay or
>auctions.  They are bound to be counter productive given the number of
>subscribers
>to this list.  Posting about auctions is most likely to serve the interests of
>the
>seller or mess up another list members chances of getting a bargain.

OK, Giles.

>However, I stand by my belief that informing other list members of things
>available
>locally that might be of interest to someone else is a service.  I think there
>is
>usually an unwritten implication that the poster is willing to assist someone
>with a
>deal if no phone numbers or other contact details are given.

Assuming there is such implication, I agree that it may be useful
indeed.

>Someone recently pointed out there was a 350mm f2.8 for sale in Oz for
>something
>like $1200.  I think there would be a few people who might be interested in
>such
>information and might be interested to know about it.

Yes, this is a special item indeed. Like I said earlier it will always
be difficult to objectively set limits to what is interesting enough
to post, and what is not - because interests are subjective by their
very nature.

The main issue of my objection against commercializing the list is,
that _unneccessary_ postings should be avoided. Which includes all
postings to eBay, or other marketplace forums and to all camera shops
with websites: people interested can bookmark them theirselves or use
bookmark lists available elsewhere. I think our points of view are not
very wide apart...

>Giles
>
>All the best from damp Ireland ;-)

Here it very sunny now - just for one or two days....
But one of the reasons I like Ireland so much for IS its dampness!
BTW, I just bought two used Quantum Turbopacks from Ireland - to give
new power to my T-45's (for which the original batteries have become
unavailable...)

ATB, Frank.