Re: [OM] Macro Items on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Items on ebay
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:47:19 GMT
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:13:41 +0000, "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Frank van Lindert wrote:
>
>> list is already crowded as it is, and everyone interested in eBay
>> items (like me) will find his or her way to the auction forum easily
>> enough without help.
>
>Fair enough
>
>> But pointing each other to 'the cheap lens cover
>> in a local shop in Canberra' or 'the not too expensive T-20 at eBay'
>> is another thing.
>
>No it is not, it is service to other list members, like John
>Gardner's recent public spirited generosity in finding a stash of OM2 motor
>drive
>socket covers and a T32 calculator panel and offering them to those in need.
>
>I am sure if you had wanted such items you would have been only too happy to
>avail
>yourself of John's generosity.

oops! I actually WAS wanting one of them, and I am indeed grateful.
But I think it is different when people offer to do something for
other list members themselves, vs. just pointing to an available
object in a local shop or auction.
I have also helped other list members several times (e.g. with
batteries, spreading the dangerous mercury all over the states
again...) which gives me as much pleasure as being helped by others.

>Could it be that you trade in Olympus equipment for profit and are upset that
>such
>posts might impinge on you business activities?

No, I am not trading for profit, only for pleasure like other
collectors, trying to extend and upgrading the items of which my
collection exists.

>Having been involved in this list for nearly two years It has been quite
>obvious
>that an awful lot of gear passes through your hands.

Yes, it does, albeit not only for myself but also for a few other
(elder) Olympus lovers in my neighbourhood who are without
Net-facilities.

>I have nothing against people doing a little commerce - it's a fairly free
>world
>after all - but if those involved in such commerce get sanctimonious about
>list
>members trying to help each other out with a little information then I think
>those
>of us not on this list for anything other than intellectual profit have a
>right to
>pass comment.

Of course you have the right. But I myself am primarily on this list
to share knowledge rather than for commercial profit - that is why I
was opposed to any commercial activities on this list in the first
place.
I sometimes offer items to people specifically asking for them, but
seldomly advertize any. I have sold (and bought) at eBay, but never
pointed on this list to my items at auction. This is exactly what I
would like to avoid!

>> should be split in an Olympus.photography and an Olympus.marketplace
>
>No, unless you are volunteering to host and run the new list.

No, if I had had the facilities I would have chosen to run and host
the old one! I have seriously investigated if I could - first when
Iowa.state could no longer host it and later when you had to quit the
job. Be sure I haven't forgotten your efforts running the list in your
Australian past. I am still grateful to you for that, like I am to
Shawn now. But let's keep the list from getting commercial, please.

>Giles

Best from Holland, Frank.