[OM] Question: firing two winders from one switch

Subject: [OM] Question: firing two winders from one switch
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:25:19 -0800
>From: Gary Edwards <edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>I have a remote application where I want to be able to fire two winder
>equiped OM bodies simultaneously
>from one switch.  Can someone with knowledge of the winder trigger
>circuitry answer this?  Do the
>circuits need to be isolated from one another (specifically, fired by a
>double pole switch) or can they
>be wired to a single pole switch safely? If so,should the winders be in
>parallel or series?

I'd be very careful about this. You certainly don't want to put them in
series, and simply putting them in parallel could damage one or the other,
or result in spurious operation.

I once characterized the switching requirements, but can't find the
results. I seem to recall the switch requires only a milliamp or so of
switching current. If so, you could probably safely fire the two in
parallel by putting a 1k ohm resistor in series with the center contact of
each winder, putting the other end of the resistors together, and switching
that against the outer contacts, which are wired together. The resistor
will isolate the Winders from each other.

Of course, a double-pole switch is the best way to isolate them -- perhaps
a double pole relay fired from a single pole switch, if your application
has a single output, such as a light beam trigger or mercury switch.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229