Re: [OM] OM Bellows

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Bellows
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 00:51:20 -0000

From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Anyone ever thought of somehow adapting the OM bellows to do shifts,
>etc. per the N*k*n bellows they sold a few years ago...

I did something along these lines some years back when I wanted to emulate a
technical camera's use of the Scheimpflug  Principle using my OM2n body, an
old 135mm Tessar from a plate camera, a BPM bellows, two small b&S heads, a
straight flash bracket incorporating a long slot, and two case retaining
screws. The lens mount was made by BPM (Butterfield Photographic Mfg. Co. of
UK, now defunct).

You just remove the two screws that secure the lens panel to the rails and
you have two independent bellows halves, each held by a small b&s head to
the flash bracket by a case retaining screw. The flash bracket is mounted
atop a tripod and the result is a sort of 35mm mini monorail with s.l.r.
focussing and high tech metering.

The drawbacks are these:
1. The extension precludes the use of lenses shorter than around 100mm,
2. The lens has to have a covering power greater than normal for 35mm,
3. The bellows unit has too narrow a bag to cater for extreme movements,
4. Focussing by sliding a b&s head along a slot and tightening its screw is
a bit jerky.

Well, it kept me amused for a few days. An improved version would consist of
an entire technical or plate camera with a hole bored in a slide holder and
an OM body mount screwed on.

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx